This assumption seemed to be purely based on a few key factors, the real question is: Did I notice this because I am a seasoned smoker myself with Marijuana constantly on the mind OR would a trained police officer also notice the small details I noticed which were as follows:
1) baggy clothes, thug image- more likely a drug user than a nerd or prep image
2) walking side by side in an almost perfect line (for passing the joint)- not a normal way to walk
3) only one person smoking- from a distance I only noticed one flick of fire among the three
4) I also noticed that a small ember dropped from the cigarette which struck me as being unusually bigger than normal
As all this was running through my head on some subconscious level, I soon passed within a close enough distance and took a whiff of the air to test my "police dog" nose and BAAAMMM!!! The smell of weed was faint but definitely there. Whether they rolled a pure joint or one mixed with tobacco is not clear. However, some definite conclusions can be drawn from this situation to aid the average city-smoking Pothead in his constant avoidance of all things Police.
Please refer back to the original numbers for comparison:
1) if you must hit the public streets and smoke, is it too paranoid to dress a little less "criminal" to begin with, maybe not
2) DONT walk in an unusual or sketchy way, I know you don't want to miss the spliff rotation, but getting arrested is much worse
3) light up a cigarette with the joint, it can only help with the damning aroma and your overall appearance to the public, even if point #2 isn't followed
4) roll your joints tighter, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!
I will continually post new Stoner Tips, call me paranoid if you will, but this post wasn't published from jail and I have been smoking so long I saw "Half Baked" in the theaters wasted.